The 0x0000007E error is one of the Blue Screen of Death problems, which usually appears on a computer running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2. If your computer has this error, you can see a message like this:
Stop 0x0000007E (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4)
This problem may be caused by below factors:
- Wrongly configured system settings;
- Irregularities in Windows registry;
- Incorrect user input;
- Missing files;
- Outdated or corrupted drivers…
According to these factors, there are five solutions to fix the 0x0000007E error.
Tips: Before you try these solutions, you need to restart your computer and login Windows. If you can’t, power on and off your computer three times to enter Safe Mode.
Solution 1: Run CHKDSK
A damaged hard drive is one of the reasons for your problem. You can use the Windows tool Check Disk to check if there is a faulty hard drive.
1. Click Start and type cmd in the search box. Then click the search result.
2. Type chkdsk in Command Prompt when the window appears.
3. Click Enter key.
Then it will check your disk to see if there are any errors.
Solution 2: Remove Some Files and Programs
Sometimes this problem occurs because your hardware space is not enough. So make sure there is enough free space on the disk. You can delete your temp files, and other files to make space. In addition, you can remove some unnecessary programs and make your recycle bin empty so that more free space is available.
After you delete some files and programs, you can check whether the problem remains. If it does, it may result from other factors and you need to try another solution.
Solution 3: Remove Unsigned Drivers
If you installed some unsigned driver, the problem may be caused. You have to find out the unsigned driver and remove it.
1. Click Start and type verifier in the search box. Then run this command.
2. Choose to Create standard settings. Then click Next.
3. Select Automatically select unsigned drivers and click Next.
Next, it will scan for unsigned drivers for you.
4. Create a folder on your computer’s hard drive.
5. Open My Computer > Local Disk (C:) > Windows > System 32 > drivers.
6. Move the unsigned drivers to the folder you created in step 4.
7. Restart your computer and see if the error has been corrected.
Tips: You can remove all third party drivers as well, for the incompatibility of third-party drivers with the computer’s operating system can also cause this error.
Solution 4: Update Drivers
Updating your drivers, especially display adapter driver, video driver, and chipset driver may fix your problem. Update these drivers one by one in Device Manager may be troublesome. To update them all in simple steps, you can use Driver Doctor as a help.
1. Download and install Driver Doctor.
2. Run Driver Doctor and click Scan Now.
3. After it scanned your all drivers, it will tell you how many of them need to be updated and how many are Then click Get Drivers.
4. Locate the three drivers on the list, and then click Download. Click Install after downloading.
You can also click Download All to download all drivers listed above. And install them all. Then you’ll manage to update all drivers.
Solution 5: Update your BIOS
BIOS is the abbreviation of Basic Input Output System. Your computer should have an option when you restart it like ‘Press F2 to Enter Setup’. To fix your problem, you can try to update your BIOS. You need to check its version first and then download on the manufacturer’s website. Here, Dell will be taken as an example.
1. Press Windows key and R And type msinfo32 in the Run command. Click OK.
2. Find BIOS Version/Date in the right pane and note the information given.
3. Go to Dell’s support page.
4. Choose to enter your Service tag, select “View products” or “Detect PC“.
5. Then find out the proper BIOS by filtering out products and download it.
6. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
After the process is completed, test if the problem is solved.
These are all about the reasons and solutions for 0x0000007E blue screen error. Hope it works for you when you encounter such problem.